Many patients suffering from cardiovascular and ophthalmologic diseases complain about the veil in front of their eyes.
This is a rather alarming symptom, which can be accompanied by a number of other disorders. Such a clinical picture appears with different intensity and during different periods of time. Such a veil can accompany a person throughout the day, but not affect the quality of vision. In this case, it is mistakenly considered safe, transient. But in reality it is not. The appearance of a "white blanket" before the eyes is an important diagnostic sign that can indicate the presence of a particular disease.
What kind of disease this doctor should understand is that self-diagnosis in such a situation is unacceptable! In 30% of patients complaining of a similar symptom, changes in the tissues of the retina are diagnosed. This is fraught with severe visual impairment, even blindness, so the veil in front of the eyes should be a significant reason for seeking medical attention.
The causes of the veil before the eyes
If a person has a feeling that he is looking at the world through a crooked mirror, the image seems fuzzy, blurry, crumbly, then this disorder is caused by degenerative changes in the retina of the eye. As a result, image formation is disturbed, and such a process can be terminated only under the influence of timely and properly prescribed treatment.
In some cases, the causes of the appearance of the veil before the eyes are associated with impaired activity of the heart or nervous system. Also, the causes of its occurrence may lie in the presence of:
- Cataracts. This is an ophthalmologic disease characterized by slow but steady development. The disease is associated with a disorder affecting the lens tissue. In this case, the veil becomes thicker as the destructive process progresses. Cataract is a very common disease, but modern medicine has effective therapeutic methods that can restore the patient's vision.
- Glaucoma. This pathology is characterized by a sharp development, and is accompanied by an increase in intraocular pressure. In case of glaucoma, there is not only a veil before the eyes, but also severe pain in the area of the organs of vision.
- Circulatory problems and blood vessel condition. Such vascular disorders, as a rule, are temporary, and gradually pass by themselves. Along with a veil of sight, a person may experience headache and general weakness. But often vascular disorders are a secondary deviation, developing on the background of serious diseases - diabetes, hypertension or thrombosis. Such situations require immediate medical intervention.
- Corneal dysfunction. The cornea is a very fragile structure, which can be compromised by even minor mechanical effects, or by a long-term untreated inflammatory process in the eye. Such problems are almost always accompanied by the appearance of the veil.
- Dry Eye Syndrome With this disorder, the cornea dries out, there is a sweating of its endothelium. This causes the appearance of a veil, which, however, does not always occur, but only under certain conditions. The use of special preparations "artificial tears" quickly solves an unpleasant problem.
- Refractive disorders - astigmatism, myopia, hyperopia. In these cases, a failure occurs in the process of focusing the image, which leads to the appearance of a veil. Such diseases are treated with glasses or contact lenses.
- Myopia. This disease is accompanied by a visual impairment, in which many objects can only be viewed closely. It is characterized not only by the veil before the eyes, but also by many other symptoms.
- Retinal detachment. The disease is rarely primary. In most cases, it develops against the background of chronic inflammatory or degenerative / destructive eye lesions. It may also occur with diabetes and other diseases of the internal organs.
- Age-related macular degeneration. This reason for the development of veil before the eyes is typical for patients older than 60 years. Vision problems occur while reading and viewing objects at close range. At first, the eye begins to see poorly, a white veil appears. Then the image is distorted. Eliminate such a disorder can only correct treatment.
- Migraine. Usually, before an attack of migraine pain, a dark veil appears before the eyes, which disappears after symptoms subside. Migraine can be healed with drugs and physiotherapy, eliminating its manifestations for a long time.
- Neuritis of the optic nerve. With such an inflammatory lesion, a temporary decrease in visual acuity occurs. White veil in the eyes usually disappears after therapy. With periodic exacerbations they speak of a chronic, recurrent course of neuritis.
- Brain tumors. This is one of the rarest reasons for the appearance of a veil before your eyes.
As you can see, not always ophthalmologic pathologies lead to the appearance of a veil on the eyes. Sometimes it can be the result of a strong header, which resulted in a concussion of the brain. Under such circumstances, it is necessary to consult a doctor immediately, since concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury, and may be fraught with dangerous complications.
Stroke is another cause of thick fog before your eyes. If the symptom is actually associated with such a violation of the oxygen supply of the brain, then further treatment is carried out under the supervision of an ophthalmologist.
Prolonged use of certain medications can trigger visual disturbances. The veil before eyes is observed when applying:
- oral contraceptives;
- medications for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases;
- hormones, etc.
For the "allergic" veil before the eyes is characterized by the morning manifestation - immediately after the person wakes up. After washing the eyes with water, the unpleasant symptom disappears. Its appearance is most likely due to the presence of allergens near the bed.
In women, the veil on the eyes often appears after the use of special solutions, lotions, creams or pads to remove makeup. This phenomenon is not uncommon, but it suggests that, most likely, there is an individual intolerance to the body of a particular component of a cosmetic product. In this case, you can get rid of white highlights only by using another liquid to remove makeup products from the eyes.
The veil before eyes is almost always accompanied by accompanying symptoms that depend on the cause of the visual disorder. Thus, patients with glaucoma complain of:
- pain in the eye and in one part of the head;
- a sharp decline in vision;
- nausea, which may be accompanied by vomiting;
- redness of a sore eye.
Corneal lesions are accompanied by:
- prolonged lacrimation;
- the feeling of having a third-party object in the eye;
- rezu in the eyes;
- blurred vision.
Migraine is characterized by the appearance of:
- throbbing or aching headache in only one half of the head;
- discomfort, worsening with loud sounds, bright light or strong odors;
The veil in front of the eyes may be accompanied by the appearance of light highlights, spastic pains, flashes. The appearance of unpleasant symptoms is a serious reason for consulting with an ophthalmologist. You should not take any independent measures, even if the patient knows what caused his veil. Without experience and medical education, the patient will not be able to find adequate therapy, and self-treatment can further aggravate his health.
If a patient complains about the veil before his eyes, he should seek help from an ophthalmologist, who will conduct a comprehensive examination. It includes:
- visual inspection of the eyes;
- study of the state of the retina of the visual organs;
- measurement of eye pressure;
- examination with an ophthalmoscope or slit lamp.
After the initial examination, the doctor will be able to prescribe additional diagnostic measures, if needed. If the veil before the eyes is caused by trauma, then the patient may be referred to a traumatologist or a neurologist. The specialist must determine if the patient has serious brain damage.
Pathologies such as glaucoma, retinal detachment, or cataracts are treated only through surgery. Before surgical treatment, the patient must undergo additional tests, including chest WG and laboratory tests.
How to treat the veil before my eyes?
Therapy of this symptom has a close relationship with the causes of its occurrence.
- With retinal detachment, it is possible to conduct pharmacotherapy based on the use of drugs that improve vascular permeability and metabolism in the tissues of the retina. In parallel, it is possible to conduct laser coagulation.
- When keratitis, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial eye drops are prescribed. Perhaps the appointment of systemic drugs in the form of tablets or injections. With extensive lesions, a donor cornea transplant may be necessary.
- When an immature cataract prescribed vitamin drops, as well as funds with nutrients. They slow down the progression of lens opacities. But it is best not to wait for the maturation of the cataract, and immediately replace it with an implant (intraocular lens). In the later stages of the disease, only this method of treatment is possible.
- When glaucoma prescribed medications that reduce intraocular pressure. In the absence of efficacy from such therapy, as well as with intense eye pain, surgical intervention is performed.
- Light manifestations of dry eye syndrome are treated with the help of ophthalmic drops (the so-called "artificial tears"): Chilo-chest, Hilamax, etc. You can also use retinal-based ointment (vitamin A) - Vit-a-pic, which should be laid in the eye before going to bed. This drug is recommended to alternate with the use of Korneregel or Vidisikom.
- For brain tumors, chemotherapy or surgery is performed.
- In a stroke, the patient must strictly adhere to bed rest. If the pathology was triggered by a thrombotic obturation of the blood vessel of the brain, and going to a medical institution occurred within an hour of the onset of symptoms, doctors take steps to dissolve the thrombus.
- When anemia is important, first of all, to establish the cause of its development. If the pathology is caused by intense menstruation, additional diagnostics are carried out to exclude endometriosis, uterine myomatosis or other tumor processes. If anemia is associated with malnutrition, the patient is prescribed a special diet and iron supplements.
- Hypertensive crisis requires urgent medical intervention, so the patient should immediately call an ambulance. The treatment is carried out in the cardiological or therapeutic department.
- In diabetic retinopathy, the endocrinologist (if necessary) prescribes insulin therapy, an ophthalmologist - drugs that improve the trophism of eye tissue.
In order to prevent blurred vision and optical disorders, it is necessary:
- change your lifestyle by giving up bad habits and normalizing your diet;
- follow the rules of personal hygiene to prevent infection in the eyes;
- optimize the mode of rest and work when performing work that requires eyestrain;
- closely monitor blood pressure indicators;
- to control the level of glucose in the blood in the presence of diabetes mellitus, and to prevent its increase.
If the veil before your eyes appeared at least once, you should not ignore this signal. In order to avoid possible consequences, it is necessary to undergo preventive examinations at the ophthalmologist every 6-12 months. This is especially important for people over the age of 45 who have a high risk of developing cataracts, glaucoma and other eye diseases that can lead not only to a decrease, but also to a complete loss of vision.