Salofalk is an intestinal anti-inflammatory medicine that provides a local anti-inflammatory effect associated with inhibition of neutrophilic lipoxygenase, as well as the synthesis of leukotrienes and prostaglandins.
The active component stops the degranulation, migration, phagocytosis of neutrophils and the process of secretion of immunoglobulins by lymphocytes. An antioxidant effect is noted due to the fact that mesalazine is capable of bonding with free oxygen radicals and their destruction.
The substance can also capture those radicals that are formed from reactive oxygen compounds.
An anti-inflammatory drug used to treat UC.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
You can buy by prescription.
How much do Salofalk candles cost 500mg in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 1 500 rubles.
Composition and release form
The drug Salofalk is available in the dosage form of a suppository (suppository) for rectal (into the rectal cavity) use. They have a white color with a cream shade, a torpedo shape, small size and a smooth surface.
- The suppository contains the active component mesalazine and solid fat as an auxiliary component.
Rectal suspension contains mesalazine and a number of additional substances: carbomer, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate, sodium ethylaminoacetate, potassium acetate, potassium disulfite, nitrogen gas, water.
Mesalazine, the main active component of Salofalk suppositories, has a pronounced anti-inflammatory therapeutic effect, which is realized by reducing the concentration of prostaglandins, leukotrienes and other proinflammatory mediators in the focus of the pathological process. These mediators increase the permeability of the walls of the blood vessels of the microvasculature with the release of plasma into the intercellular substance of tissues and their edema, irritate sensitive nerve endings with pain sensations.
Mesalazine also has an antioxidant effect, which is realized through the binding of free radicals, which are fragments of organic molecules that have a pronounced chemical activity and destroy membranes of cells.
Indications for use
Medical use of suppositories Salofalk is indicated for the treatment and prevention of exacerbation of nonspecific ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease (pathological processes characterized by non-infectious inflammation of the mucous membrane of the colon with the formation of small defects in it in the form of ulcers).
Rectal forms of medicine (enemas, Salofalk suppositories) are not used for such diseases and conditions:
- serious disorders of the liver and kidneys;
- exacerbation of gastric and duodenal ulcers;
- hemorrhagic diathesis, in which there is a tendency to bleeding;
- age of child up to 2 years;
- high sensitivity to medication components.
The tool Salofalk in chronic colitis is carefully prescribed for violations of the respiratory function, kidneys, as well as a lack of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase.
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
The tool is prescribed in the first trimester of pregnancy only in the presence of strict indications. In the following months of pregnancy, Salofalk is prescribed if the intended benefit is higher than the likely risk. Doctors recommend, if possible, to stop treatment in the last weeks of pregnancy.
When lactation prescribed medication strictly according to indications. If diarrhea develops during a nursing mother’s treatment, the therapy should be stopped immediately. At the planning stage of pregnancy, it is recommended to stop therapy or reduce the dosage of the drug.
Dosage and method of use
Adults appoint 1 suppository 500 mg or 2 suppositories 250 mg 3 times / day. In severe forms of the disease, the dose can be doubled.
With long-term maintenance treatment and for the prevention of recurrence - 1 suppository 250 mg 3 times / day.
Children with a body weight of up to 40 kg are prescribed 1/2 of the daily dose for adults - 1 suppository 250 mg 3 times / day, and children weighing more than 40 kg - 1 suppository 500 mg or 2 suppositories 250 mg 3 times / day.
The contents of one vial are administered rectally 1 time per day before bedtime (it is recommended to first clean the intestines). The daily dose is 30-50 mg / kg body weight. The maximum daily dose is 3 g.
For the prevention of relapse, oral Salofalk is recommended in the form of tablets at a dose of 15-30 mg / kg body weight / day. The daily dose should be divided into 2 doses.
Reception Salofalk can cause the following side effects:
- dizziness, headache, malaise, tinnitus, tremor, depression, convulsions, paresthesias;
- abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, flatulence, hepatitis, increased levels of hepatic transaminases;
- myalgia, arthralgia;
- tachycardia, chest pain, shortness of breath, arterial hypo- or hypertension.
Salofalk can cause anemia, agranulocytosis, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, proteinuria, oliguria, anuria, hematuria, crystalluria and hypoprothrombinemia.
Among the possible allergic reactions - itching, fever, skin rash, erythema, pericarditis, bronchospasm and myocarditis. Patients with hypersensitivity to the drug may develop interstitial nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and acute pancreatitis. In some cases, the drug can cause allergic alveolitis and pancolitis, and in some patients, taking Salofalk and analogues of the drug with a similar chemical structure led to symptoms similar to systemic lupus erythematosus syndrome.
In case of a significant excess of the recommended therapeutic dose of Salofalk suppositories, nausea, drowsiness, general weakness, and vomiting appear. Treatment of overdose is only symptomatic, since there is no specific antidote for the active component of the drug.
Before the appointment of the drug, it is necessary to determine the parameters of the functional state of the liver (alanine aminotransferase activity or aspartate aminotransferase). Further monitoring is recommended to be carried out 2 weeks after the start of treatment, then another 2-3 times in the course of therapy at 4-week intervals. If test results are normal, studies can be carried out every 3 months, immediately if any symptoms appear.
Before the start of treatment, during and also after the end of the course, it is necessary to conduct general urine and blood tests.
When using Salofalk oral forms, care should be taken when performing potentially hazardous activities, including when driving a motor vehicle.
When taking pills and granules, it is possible to stain urine and tears in yellow-orange color, as well as to stain soft contact lenses.
In the case of hospitalization, the patient must inform the doctor about the use of Salofalk.
The cylinder of foam is under high pressure, so it cannot be heated to more than 50 ° C, exposed to sunlight, pierced and opened, used near hot objects and open flame.
Interaction with other drugs
When using the drug, you must consider the interaction with other drugs:
- With simultaneous use of Salofalk causes increased action of anticoagulants.
- With the simultaneous use of Salofalk enhances the hypoglycemic effect of sulfonylurea derivatives.
- With the simultaneous use of Salofalk increases the toxicity of methotrexate.
- With the simultaneous use of Salofalk enhances the damaging effect of GCS on the gastric mucosa.
- With simultaneous use of Salofalk reduces the tuberculostatic effect of rifampicin.
- With simultaneous use Salofalk reduces the uricosuric action of probenecid and sulfinpyrazone.
- With the simultaneous use of Salofalk reduces the diuretic effect of spironolactone and furosemide.
We offer you to read the reviews of people who used Salofalk candles:
- Victor. In the treatment of intestinal diverticulosis, this drug has proven itself from the best side, and that it was made in Germany speaks volumes. Thanks to the professor who competently appointed Salofalk in the granules of the pharmaceutical company “Doctor Falk”, he saved me from the already appointed operation. The disadvantage is that they are expensive and you need to take more than one year according to an individually prescribed method, but in three or four months, of course, it will not give a positive result.
- Sasha. This is probably the best medicine that can be taken in ulcerative colitis. Always kupuyu them aggravation, has never failed. The price, of course, rather big, but for a European drug is normal. And it is better to pay more, but do without side effects and unnecessary problems. Another plus is different forms of release, sometimes just suppositories or microclyster are enough to relieve the symptoms of an exacerbation and you don’t need to take pills and spoil the stomach. And, of course, the main thing is that Salofalk is a non-hormonal drug, like many other medicines that our doctors prescribe for autoimmune diseases.
Those users who come to the forum to leave feedback on Salofalk candles and other forms of this medicine often write that the tool is quite effective. Some patients call it the most effective cure for ulcerative colitis. But, despite how effective Salofalk is, patient reviews often indicate that the medicine is very expensive, and therefore not always affordable.
Analogs of Salofalk are the medicines Asakol, Mezavant, Kansalazin, Mesacol, Mesalazin, Mezavant, Pentasa, Salozinal, and others.
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
The shelf life of suppositories Salofalk is 3 years from the date of manufacture. The drug must be stored in the original original packaging, in a dark, dry, out of the reach of children place at an air temperature not higher than + 25 ° C.