Odeston is a choleretic preparation of synthetic origin.
It has a complex effect - improves the process of bile formation, stabilizes its output, removes spasms of the biliary tract and sphincter. This drug does not allow cholesterol to crystallize, to form stones, reduces the stagnation of bile.
The drug is taken only on doctor's prescription, after diagnosis. With self-administration there is a possibility of incorrect dosage, which leads to the appearance of side effects.
Clinical and pharmacological group
The drug with choleretic and antispasmodic action.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a doctor's prescription.
How much does Odeston in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 480 rubles.
Release form and composition
Odeston is produced by the Polish company Polfa in tablets for internal use. Each tablet is white-yellow in color, has an oblong shape. In packs - on 20, 50 or 100 doses and the official instruction.
Gimekromon (international name - Hymecromonum in Latin) - active ingredient Odestona (INN - Odeston), providing all pharmacological actions. The amount of Himecromone in each dose is 200 mg.
- Mg stearates;
- different forms of starch;
- Na lauryl sulfates.
Tablets Odeston belong to the group of choleretic drugs. Their reception increases the formation of bile, does not reduce the gastrointestinal peristalsis, does not change blood pressure. The drug has a mild antispasmodic effect on the bile ducts and the sphincter of Oddi. A course of treatment reduces the stagnation of bile. This reduces the crystallization of cholesterol and the risk of cholelithiasis. An increase in cholesterol, acids in bile, leads to activation of pancreatic lipase.
The active substance gimecromone is absorbed from the digestive tract, getting into the blood, weakly combining with plasma proteins. The maximum concentration is reached 2-3 hours later after the use of the drug. The remainder of the active ingredient of the drug is excreted mainly through the kidneys (about 93% as glucuronate, 1.4% sulfonate, 0.3% unchanged).
Indications for use
What helps? Odeston is prescribed for the following conditions:
- cholelithiasis and cholangitis;
- biliary dyskinesia;
- non-calculous chronic cholecystitis;
- anorexia, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting and constipation on the background of bile hyposecretion;
- uncomplicated gallstone disease.
Also, the use of Odeston is prescribed in the period after surgery on the gallbladder and biliary tract.
Contraindications to the use of such diseases and conditions include: obstruction in the biliary tract;
- kidney failure;
- ulcerative colitis;
- childhood. Odeston is not used for the treatment of diseases in children under 18 years of age;
- Crohn's disease at different stages;
- ulcers in the intestines and stomach;
- liver failure.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Clinical experience with the use of the drug Odeston is absent among pregnant women. In order not to harm the development of the fetus in the womb, drug treatment is not recommended.
It is not known whether Gimecromone can be excreted in breast milk, and how it can affect the infant’s body, so if you need treatment with a drug, the nursing mother should stop lactation.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicate that Odeston apply inside for 30 minutes before eating.
- For adults appoint 200-400 mg 3 times / day. The daily dose is 1200 mg. The course of treatment is 2 weeks.
In case of missing a dose, it is necessary to take the drug as soon as possible. If the time of the next intake is approaching, you should not take the missed dose. You should not take a double dose of the drug in order to compensate for the missed.
On the background of drug treatment in patients with increased individual sensitivity, the following side effects may develop:
- Allergic reactions - rash on the skin, urticaria;
- On the part of the digestive system - diarrhea, bloating, increased flatulence, cramps, abdominal pain, vomiting;
- Headaches, irritability, insomnia.
With the development of these side effects should consult a doctor. As a rule, all unpleasant effects disappear after the dose is reduced.
In case of overdose, a marked increase in unwanted effects is possible.
Do not throw medicines into sewers or into household waste containers. For information on how to dispose of an unused drug, please contact your pharmacist. These activities will help protect the environment.
The drug does not affect the ability to drive vehicles and engage in other potentially hazardous activities that require high concentration of attention and speed of psychomotor reactions.
When using the drug, you must consider the interaction with other drugs:
- Odeston enhances the effects of indirect anticoagulants.
- With simultaneous use of morphine, causing spasm of the sphincter of Oddi, weakens the effect of Odeston.
- At simultaneous use of Odeston with metoclopramide, mutual weakening of the action is noted.
We picked up some reviews of people using the drug Odeston:
- Anna. Bought on the advice of a doctor mom (she is 53 years old). Sometimes, after a fatty meal, especially in butter, complains of pancreatic pain and nausea. Persuaded to drink drink tablets Odeston two weeks. A week later, nausea disappeared in the evenings. The drug review is good, there are no side effects. At an affordable price, it helps keep the gall bladder normal.
- Olga I was diagnosed with cholecystitis. Odeston was prescribed 1 tablet three times a day. I started taking it, on the second day I had a slight pain in my lower abdomen, and most likely, my bladder hurts, as if itching in the urethra. Passed all tests for infection at the gynecologist. The results are good, no infections detected. Maybe I have a hypersensitivity to Odeston or allergies?
- Svetlana Assigned to a child in 8 years with disruption of the entire gastrointestinal tract. I doubted that the instructions from 10 years old are only possible, but simpler means, herbs either do not help, or can’t be forced to drink - the taste is nasty. Began to give after the advice of a gastroenterologist. For a month of taking vomiting, there is less nausea and pain.
In pharmacology, it is possible to find a large number of analogues of this drug, similar in action, but structural analogues do not exist. It is possible to allocate such medicines as:
- Choleretic fee,
- Flomin and many others.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Odeston should be stored in a dry place at a temperature up to 25 degrees. It is important to prevent direct sunlight and do not put the drug in a place with high illumination.
Keep out of the reach of children. Shelf life 3 years.