Xymelin is a local vasoconstrictor drug that is used for ENT diseases.
Xymelin is indicated not only for the treatment of rhinitis (synonym for rhinitis in medical terminology) and its complications (sinusitis, eustachitis, etc.), but also used when sinusitis is not amenable to treatment with therapeutic methods and the patient must be puncture the sinus.
In preparing the patient for this manipulation, ENT doctors use Xymelin to relieve swelling of the sinuses, as a result of which access to the puncture site is facilitated. In addition, in otorhinolaryngology, the drug is prescribed for the treatment of otitis media, one of the main symptoms of which is nasopharyngeal edema.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Vasoconstrictor drug for local use in the ENT practice.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much does Xymelin cost? The average price in pharmacies is at the level of 90 rubles.
Release form and composition
Xymelin is available in the following dosage forms:
- Nasal drops of 0.05 and 0.1%: a clear, colorless solution (10 ml each in dropper bottles, in a carton pack of 1 bottle);
- Spray nasal 0.05 and 0.1%: colorless transparent liquid (10 or 15 ml in vials complete with a dosing device, 1 set per carton pack).
The composition of 1 ml spray and drops included:
- Active ingredient: Xylometazoline hydrochloride 0.5 or 1 mg;
- Additional components: sodium chloride, disodium edetate, purified water, sodium dihydrogen phosphate dihydrate, benzalkonium chloride.
Xymelin Eco comes in the form of a nasal spray of 01% and is a practically colorless transparent liquid, 1 ml of which contains 1 mg of xylometazoline hydrochloride, which is the main active ingredient of the drug.
Xymelin Eco is used as a local remedy for the narrowing of blood vessels in various rhinitis to facilitate breathing and reduce the swelling of the mucous membranes of the nasal cavity. In this preparation, there are no preservatives at all, provided that the dosages prescribed by the instructions are followed, Xymelin Eco is not an irritant to the mucous membranes and is also not capable of causing hyperemia. The drug begins to show an effective effect within a few minutes after the injection, while its effect lasts from 10 to 12 hours.
It must be remembered that the drug is prohibited to use simultaneously with the intake of MAO inhibitors, as well as tricyclic antidepressants.
Despite the fact that the drug belongs to non-prescription drugs, before using it, you should consult your doctor.
The drug should be stored in places inaccessible to children, at a temperature not exceeding 30 ° C. Under these conditions, the shelf life is 3 years, after which the drug is not recommended for use.
The pharmacological properties of Xymelin (spray and nasal drops) are due to the ability of the active substance Xylometazoline to activate adrenaline receptors, causing local vasoconstriction: the drug affects the superficial vessels of the nasal mucosa with which it comes into contact, almost without penetrating into the internal media of the body - blood and lymph .
Owing to the vasoconstrictor effect of Xymelin, such phenomena of the head cold as edema of the mucous membrane and hypersecretion of the liquid take place. The action of the drops or spray of the drug is almost instantaneous and very resistant (it lasts for 8-12 hours depending on the composition). As a result, the patient's breathing normalizes, inflammation disappears (hyperemia, edema), and the general condition improves.
Indications for use
What helps? Drops Xymelin prescribed to patients in the presence of the following pathologies:
- Otitis media (when you need to remove the swelling of the mucous membrane of the nasopharynx).
- Symptomatic treatment of acute allergic rhinitis, pollinosis, sinusitis and eustachitis (inflammation of the auditory tube, characterized by congestion of the ears due to ventilation problems).
- Acute respiratory diseases, accompanied by difficulty breathing, severe runny nose, swelling and redness of the nasal mucosa (for example, acute rhinitis and sinusitis).
- Preparation for diagnostic procedures in which manipulations in the nasal passages are necessary.
Xymelin is contraindicated to apply when:
- Hypersensitivity to drug substances.
- Severe atherosclerosis.
- Atrophic rhinitis.
- After surgery on the meninges.
With extreme caution, this vasoconstrictor is prescribed to pregnant and lactating women, people with diabetes mellitus, prostatic hyperplasia, intense angina, bladder neck obstruction, cystic fibrosis, and also with a tendency to impaired intestinal patency and bleeding.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Use the drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding can not. During lactation, the doctor may prescribe it, but he must assess the potential effects of the drug to the mother and the threat to the health of the infant.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicated:
- Nasal drops of 0.05% are prescribed to children aged 2 to 6 years, 1-2 drops in each nostril 1-2 times / day.
- Nasal drops of 0.1% are prescribed for adults and children over 6 years old, 2-3 drops in each nostril (instillation can be repeated if necessary).
- 0.05% nasal spray is prescribed to children between the ages of 2 and 6 years old by 1 injection in each nostril 1-2 times / day. A single injection of Xymelin 0.05% contains about 35 μg xylometazoline hydrochloride.
- Spray nasal 0.1% is prescribed to adults and children over 6 years old by 1 injection in each nostril (if necessary, you can repeat the injection). A single injection of Xymelin 0.1% contains about 140 μg xylometazoline hydrochloride.
The drug should be used no more than 3 times / day and for no more than 7 days.
The side effects of this remedy, which are sometimes found in patients, are symptoms of irritation of the mucous membranes: increased sneezing, burning in the nasopharynx, numbness and an unpleasant taste in the mouth.
If xymeline extra is taken for a long time or uncontrolledly, there may be disturbances from the nervous system:
- general weakness
- mood swings
- visual impairment
- tremor of the limbs.
The cardiovascular system may also suffer from prolonged exposure: sometimes arrhythmia, tachycardia or arterial pressure increase. Other side effects are any allergic reactions to xymelin, such as angioedema, as well as vomiting, nosebleeds, increased nasal mucous secretions.
Prolonged use of the drug is not recommended, as it may be addictive to it and increase the manifestation of symptoms of the disease.
The use of the drug in high doses has an undesirable effect on the nervous system of patients, so you need to carefully manage the transport or perform hazardous work.
Simultaneous use of tricyclic antidepressants and monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors with Xymelin may trigger an increase in blood pressure.
We picked up some reviews of people taking the drug Xymelin:
- Gulvira For about 6 years she had nasal congestion, NAFTIZIN driped into her nose every day, helped only for a certain time, had a disturbed sleep, underwent an examination, had no sinusitis, tried a lot of stuff from congestion, but nothing helped. But Bronchial Asthma, horror ... But just 1 week ago, the doctor prescribed Ksemlin for me, and you know I don’t want to jinx it, but I BREATHE ... and I live .... and there is no congestion ... I drip only for the night. KEMILIN thank you ... !!!!!!!!!
- Masha. Nose punches on raz.Ya so easy for him to breathe !!! But I got hooked on him so that as soon as the bubble ended, I immediately bought the next one. It turned out that I was allergic, because of chronic nasal congestion and the allergist said that ximilin should not be used for so long. And what she prescribed for me, such an effect as xymelin, does not give me.
- Marina. This tool is valid only with a very strong head cold. And you can use it only 2-3 days. I got hooked on Xymelin very strongly, and, most importantly, imperceptibly. Without him, she was already afraid to go out. As soon as she discovered that she had forgotten to put it in her bag, she immediately panicked and began to search for the nearest pharmacy or return home. Then I realized that this is not normal. Went to the ENT. He ordered me to endure a few days, they say, everything will be restored. These few days turned into a painful week. But, thanks to the side, the mucosa gradually recovered, breathing returned to normal. I will never use these nasty things again!
The following drugs are similar in their therapeutic effect with Xymelin:
- Grippostad Reno;
- For carrying;
- Dr. Theiss Nazolin;
- Dr. Theiss Rinotaiss;
- Xymelin Eco;
- Xymelin Eco with menthol;
- Xymelin Extra;
- Nosolin Balsam;
- Sanorin Xylo;
- Tizin Xylo;
- Tizin Xylo Bio;
- Evkazolin Aqua;
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Keep out of the reach of children at a temperature of 15-25 ° C.
Shelf life - 2 years.