Carvedilol belongs to the group of alpha and beta-blockers. It is often prescribed for heart failure, and is also used to treat hypertension.
The drug has been widely used since the late 1980s, but still does not lose its popularity. The reason - it works better than other drugs for heart failure. Extends the life of the sick and does not develop addiction to other drugs (nitrates).
On this page you will find all the information about Carvedilol: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Carvedilol. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Beta1-, beta2-adrenergic blocker. Alpha1-blocker.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much is carvedilol? The average price in pharmacies is 80 rubles.
Release form and composition
Carvedilol is available in the form of coated tablets, 12.5 and 25 mg. Have a flat-cylindrical shape, white.
1 tablet Carvedilola contains:
- active ingredient: carvedilol - 12.5 mg;
- excipients: microcrystalline cellulose, lactose (milk sugar), crospovidone (plasdon XL10), sodium fumarate.
Available in a blister - 30 tablets.
Carvedilol is a non-selective beta-adrenoreceptor blocker. It is also a selective alpha receptor blocker. It has no internal sympathomimetic activity.
Reduces the overall atrial load due to selective blocking of alpha-adrenoreceptors. Due to the non-selective blockade of beta-adrenoreceptors, suppression of the renin-angiotensin system of the kidneys (decrease in plasma renin activity), decrease in blood pressure, heart rate and cardiac output are observed. By blocking alpha receptors, carvedilol expands peripheral vessels, thereby reducing vascular resistance.
The combination of vasodilation and beta-receptor blockade is accompanied by the following effects: in patients with ischemic heart disease, prevention of myocardial ischemia, pain syndrome; in patients with arterial hypertension - lowering blood pressure; in patients with circulatory failure and left ventricular dysfunction, hemodynamic improvement, reduction in the size of the left ventricle and an increase in the ejection fraction from it. The drug has no effect on lipid metabolism.
Indications for use
Accompanying the drug Carvedilol instructions for use and reviews of physicians note its effectiveness in various diseases of the heart and blood vessels, including:
- stable angina;
- cardiovascular insufficiency (chronic type);
- high blood pressure (for a representative of middle age, pressure is considered to be elevated when the threshold is 140/90 mm Hg).
However, it should not be forgotten that in certain diseases (for example, in diabetes) high blood pressure is the norm. In such situations, the limit to which you can do without taking pills, the doctor determines individually.
Contraindications to the use of carvedilola are:
- Sick sinus syndrome.
- Cardiogenic shock.
- The period of carrying a child.
- Breastfeeding period.
- Patient age up to 18 years.
- Arterial hypotension (SAD less than 85 mm Hg).
- Severe bradycardia (heart rate less than 50 beats / min).
- Atrio-ventricular blockade of grade II and III (not counting patients with IVR).
- Severe liver failure.
- Hypersensitivity to carvedilol and other components of the drug.
- Heart failure in the stage of exacerbation and decompensation (including the chronic form) /
Carvedilol is prescribed with extreme caution in Prinzmetal angina pectoris, renal failure, thyrotoxicosis, diabetes mellitus, occlusive diseases of peripheral vessels, general anesthesia and extensive surgical interventions, pheochromocytoma, depression, psoriasis, hypoglycemia, adiposomal syndrome, pheochromocytoma, depression, psoriasis, hypoglycemia, adiposemia, adiposemia, pheochromocytoma, depression, psoriasis, hypoglycemia, ample surgery, pheochromocytoma, depression, psoriasis, hypoglycemia, ample surgery, pheochromocytoma, depression, psoriasis, hypoglycemia, ample surgery, pheochromocytoma, depression, psoriasis, hypoglycemia, ample surgery, pheochromocytoma, depression, psoriasis, hypoglycemia, ample surgery, pheochromocytoma, depression, psoriasis, hypoglycemia, ample surgery.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Pregnant women Carvedilol is prescribed in cases of exceeding the risk of life and health of a woman over the potential risk of penetration of the drug into the body of the fetus. If it is impossible to cancel the drug, breastfeeding is contraindicated.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that the dosing regimen set individually depending on the evidence. Carvedilol is taken orally, regardless of the meal.
Tablets are taken after meals with a small amount of water. Average dosages:
- In hypertension during the first 7-14 days, the recommended initial dose is 12.5 mg / day (1 tab.) In the morning after breakfast. The dose can be divided into 2 doses of 6.25 mg Carvedilol (1/2 tab. 12.5 mg each). Next, the drug is prescribed in a dose of 25 mg (1 tab. 25 mg) in 1 dose in the morning, or divided into 2 doses of 12.5 mg (1 tab. 12.5 mg). If necessary, after 14 days it is possible to increase the dose again.
- In chronic heart failure, the dose is selected individually, under close medical supervision. The recommended initial dose is 3.125 mg 2 times / day for 2 weeks. With good tolerance, the dose is increased at intervals of at least 2 weeks to 6.25 mg 2 times / day, then 12.5 mg 2 times / day, and further to 25 mg 2 times / day. The dose should be increased to the maximum, which is well tolerated by the patient. In patients with a body weight of less than 85 kg, the target dose is 50 mg / day, in patients with a body weight of more than 85 kg, the target dose is 75-100 mg / day. If treatment is interrupted for more than 2 weeks, then its renewal begins with a dose of 3.125 mg 2 times / day, with a subsequent increase in dose.
- With stable angina, the initial dose of Carvedilol is 12.5 mg (1 tab. 12.5 mg) 2 times / day. After 7-14 days, the dose can be increased to 25 mg (1 tab. 25 mg) 2 times / day. With insufficient efficacy and good tolerability after 14 days, the dose of Carvedilol can be further increased. The daily dose of carvedilol with angina should not exceed 50 mg (2 tab. 25 mg), administered 2 times / day.
You should also consider special instructions:
- With the abolition of the drug dose reduction should be carried out gradually over 1-2 weeks.
- Patients over the age of 70 years, the daily dose of Carvedilola should not exceed 25 mg (1 tab. 25 mg) 2 times / day.
- When skipping the next dose of the drug should be taken as soon as possible. However, if the time of the next dose comes, then you need to take only one single dose (without doubling).
With a break in taking the drug for more than 2 weeks, you must resume treatment with the lowest doses of Carvedilol.
In the reviews of Carvedilol, there are reports that the drug may cause adverse reactions from the organs and body systems:
- Respiratory system: shortness of breath, dry nasal mucosa;
- Skin: allergic eczema, urticaria, itching, redness;
- Blood system: mild thrombocytopenia;
- Vision organs: decreased tearing, visual disturbances, eye irritation;
- Central nervous system: sleep disturbances, syncope, paresthesias, depression, headaches, dizziness;
- Cardiovascular system: impaired peripheral circulation, bradycardia, orthostatic hypotension;
- Gastrointestinal: constipation, nausea, dry mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, increased transaminase levels;
- Genitourinary system: impotence, swelling of the genitals, peripheral edema, renal failure, urination disorders;
- Metabolism: hypercholesterolemia, peripheral edema, fluid retention, hypervolemia, in patients with diabetes mellitus - hyperglycemia.
In rare cases, there may be latent diabetes mellitus, angina, weakness.
If you exceed the dose of Carvedilola, you can provoke the occurrence of:
- nausea and vomiting;
- loss of consciousness;
- respiratory failure, bronchospasm;
- severe hypotension;
- heart failure;
- cardiogenic shock.
Need to monitor all major vital indicators. A patient with an overdose should be in the intensive care unit.
Hemodialysis due to the association of carvedilol with blood proteins is ineffective.
- Drug treatment is carried out with caution to patients who have had a history of developing bronchospasms, pulmonary emphysema, as well as to persons suffering from chronic bronchitis or bronchial asthma.
- At the beginning of drug treatment may develop syncope, weakness and severe dizziness. Especially in the elderly. This reaction is normal and does not require the abolition of treatment.
- In patients with psoriasis, peripheral vascular diseases, anaphylactic reactions in the history of the drug can lead to a deterioration of the condition, with Prinzmetal's angina - provoke the appearance of chest pain. The use of the drug reduces the sensitivity of allergy tests.
- While taking the drug with caution, it is recommended to conduct general anesthesia with drugs with negative inotropic effects, such as cyclopropane, ether, trichlorethylene. The patient should inform the doctor about taking Carvedilola. Before planned extensive surgical operations should be a gradual withdrawal of the drug.
- The drug tend to mask the symptoms of hyperglycemia and thyrotoxicosis. Treatment of patients with diabetes is recommended to be accompanied by regular monitoring of blood glucose levels, if necessary, to correct hypoglycemic therapy.
This drug can not be combined with alcoholic beverages or alcohol tinctures, as this increases the risk of developing disorders of the liver and central nervous system.
MAO inhibitors, cardiac glycosides, antihypertensive drugs and beta-blockers in the form of eye drops can enhance the therapeutic effect of Carvedilol while used.
Carvedilol is not prescribed to patients at the same time as intravenous injection of verapamil, as this can lead to the development of bradycardia and a strong decrease in blood pressure.
Patients with diabetes should take the drug with extreme caution, since under the influence of the active substance the therapeutic effect of hypoglycemic drugs may increase, which increases the risk of developing hypoglycemic coma.
We picked up some reviews from people about Carvedilol:
- Catherine. My mother is 78 years old. 10 years ago suffered a heart attack. Also suffers from high blood pressure and ischemia. The doctor prescribed Carvedilol 12.5 mg 2 times a day. The pressure has stabilized. But there was a dry mouth.
- Nina. I personally took carvedilol with increased pressure, the drug is good, it is important to me that there were no adverse reactions. If the pressure is too high. the drug normalizes it in about half an hour and the effect of Carvedilola is quite long, but it is still worth taking twice a day during treatment. As far as I know, the quick action of this medication is obtained due to vasodilator components. Now I took a short break, I’m going to take the drug back.
- Anna. Carvedilol helped reduce the pressure; I needed this effect of the drug. I was prescribed by his doctor. But after him I began to sleep poorly, insomnia began to torment me. All night with open eyes, sleep only came at dawn with dawn. I still didn’t leave the state of alarm. So I had such adverse reactions. But I did not quit taking the drug. I decided to suffer.
Analogues of the drug Carvedilol are the following drugs:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
List B. The drug should be stored out of the reach of children, dry, protected from light, at a temperature not higher than 25 ° C. Shelf life - 3 years.