Zinnat is a 2-generation broad-spectrum antibiotic that belongs to the cephalosporins group.
The medicine is used to treat bacterial infections caused by microorganisms sensitive to the active substance of the drug.
On this page you will find all the information about Zinnat: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Zinnat. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Cephalosporin II generation.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much is Zinnat? The average price in pharmacies is 240 rubles.
Release form and composition
The drug is available in tablets and granules. Film-coated tablets can contain from 125 to 500 mg of the active ingredient, cefuroxime axetil. The drug is supplied in 5 or 10 pcs. in blisters, in a package of 1 or 2 blisters. Zinnat is sold in granules to prepare a suspension for oral administration in a 100 ml vial.
- Active ingredient: each tablet contains as an active ingredient cefuroxime as cefuroxime axetil in a dose of 125 mg or 250 mg.
- Other ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, sodium lauryl sulfate, hydrogenated vegetable oil, colloidal silicon dioxide, methylhydroxypropylcellulose, propylene glycol, methyl parahydroxybenzoate, propyl parahydroxybenzoate, white spaspry.
In appearance, granules of irregular shape in the form of grains, no larger than 3 mm in size. Dilution results in a fruit-flavored suspension.
Bacteriostatic (inhibits the proliferation of bacteria) and bactericidal (causes the death of bacteria) properties Zinnat due to its ability to disrupt the synthesis of the cell wall of the microorganism.
The active ingredient Zinnat is cefuroxime, which is active against most gram-positive and gram-negative aerobic bacteria. The process of absorption from the gastrointestinal tract is greatly accelerated if the Zinnat antibiotic is taken simultaneously with food.
The maximum concentration of the drug in the blood can be observed 2-3 hours after the use of the drug. Zinnat excreted by the kidneys in unchanged form.
Indications for use
What helps? Treatment of Zinnat is effective in infectious and inflammatory diseases caused by microorganisms sensitive to the drug:
- urinary tract infections (pyelonephritis, cystitis, urethritis);
- infections of the skin and soft tissues (furunculosis, pyoderma, impetigo);
- gonorrhea, acute uncomplicated gonorrheal urethritis and cervicitis;
- upper respiratory tract infection, ENT organs (sinusitis, tonsillitis, pharyngitis, otitis media);
- lower respiratory tract infections (acute bacterial bronchitis and exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, pneumonia);
- treatment of Lyme disease at an early stage and prevention of the late stages of this disease in adults and children over 12 years old.
Cefuroxime is also available in the form of sodium salt (Zinacef preparation) for parenteral administration. As part of the step therapy, a transition from the parenteral form to the oral form of cefuroxime is recommended.
According to the instructions, Zinnat is contraindicated in patients with an allergic reaction to drugs of the penicillin group, with hypersensitivity to cephalosporin, bleeding and gastrointestinal diseases, as well as during pregnancy and lactation.
Also do not prescribe the drug to children under the age of three months.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
There are no data on ongoing studies of the effect of antibiotic on the fetus. Therefore, it is not advisable to use it during pregnancy, especially in the first trimester. In some cases, Zinnat may be given to pregnant women, but only with greater health benefits for the mother than the possible risk to the child.
Breastfeeding should be interrupted during therapy with Zinnat, since cefuroxime is excreted in breast milk.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that Zinnat is recommended to be taken during or immediately after a meal. The course of treatment and doses are selected by the attending physician individually in each case.
When treating severe lower respiratory tract infections or otitis media:
- Adults on 500 mg 2 times a day;
- children 3-6 months 60-90 mg 2 times a day;
- Children 6 months - 2 years 90-180 mg 2 times a day;
- children 2-12 years old 180-250 mg 2 times a day.
When treating lower respiratory tract infections of mild to moderate severity:
- Adults on 250 mg 2 times a day;
- children 3-6 months 40-60 mg 2 times a day;
- children 6 months - 2 years 60-120 mg 2 times a day;
- children 2-12 years old 125 mg 2 times a day.
- Adults on 250 mg 2 times a day.
When treating uncomplicated gonorrhea:
- Adults appoint 1 g once.
In the treatment of urinary tract infections:
- Adults on 125 mg 2 times a day.
The average course of drug treatment is 5-7 days.
The instructions for Zinnat indicated that the agent may cause side effects on the part of some body systems, namely:
- Eosinophilia, hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, neutropenia and leukopenia (hematopoietic system).
- Headache (central nervous system).
- Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, jaundice, a temporary increase in liver enzyme activity and pseudomembranous colitis (digestive system).
Zinnat can also cause allergic reactions - serum sickness, skin rash, fever, urticaria, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, anaphylaxis, erythema multiforme, and toxic epidermal necrolysis.
An overdose of cephalosporins can cause an increase in brain excitability with the development of seizures. Cefuroxime serum levels can be reduced by hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis.
- During treatment, it is recommended to periodically monitor the functioning of the kidneys.
- 5 ml of suspension contains 0.5 XE, which should be considered when prescribing the drug for diabetes mellitus.
- Tablets are not prescribed to patients who have difficulty swallowing, as they cannot be broken or chewed.
- The drug is prescribed with extreme caution in the presence of a history of allergic reactions to beta-lactam antibiotics.
Zinnat can cause dizziness and headache, so care should be taken when driving vehicles or other mechanisms, or to refuse to work at all, requiring increased concentration and attention.
- Acceptance of Zinnat does not affect the quantitative determination of the creatinine by the alkaline-picrate method.
- Since, due to the ferrocyanide test, a false-negative result is possible to determine the level of glucose in the blood and it is desirable to use the hexokinase or glucose oxidase methods in plasma.
- Zinnat can affect the intestinal microflora, and this leads to a decrease in estrogen reabsorption. As a result, the effect of hormonal oral contraceptives is reduced.
- With simultaneous use with loop diuretics, tubular secretion, renal clearance is reduced, the concentration of cefuroxime in plasma increases, as well as its half-life.
- When taken simultaneously with diuretics and aminoglycosides increases the likelihood of nephrotoxic effects.
The bioavailability of cefuroxime may be reduced while taking drugs that reduce the acidity of gastric juice. Such drugs neutralize the effect of increasing the absorption of drugs when taken after meals.
We picked up some feedback from people about Zinnat:
- Nastya. Zinnat is an excellent antibiotic of a new generation. A child of 3.5 years, a temperature of 39.3 rose every 6 hours, no cough and no sniff, the pediatrician prescribed an improvement on the face the next day. I advise you not to be afraid of anything !!! !
- Victoria. Son was sick hard. It began with orvi, ended with bronchitis with a very high long-term temperature. Zinnat was prescribed in the form of a syrup from granules. Torn scary. They switched to Zinnat tablets and drank the course normally, recovered very quickly.
- Oksana. My children with ARVI, the doctor prescribed the drug Zinnat. I read the reviews, bought pellets for 400 rubles. Since this is an antibiotic, I bought Norbokakt to normalize the intestinal microflora. The instructions marked the course of treatment in 5 days, as the doctor prescribed for us. With the disease, the antibiotic helped - the disease went away, but you should not get carried away with a strong remedy.
If necessary, Zinnat can be replaced by another antibiotic with a similar composition:
- Tsetil Lupine;
- Cefroxim J;
- Cefuroxime sodium;
- Cefuroxime sodium sterile;
- Cefuroxime axetil;
In some cases, it is required to replace the antibiotic with another having a similar effect, but containing a different active ingredient. Suprax can be used to treat similar diseases. However, there are other drugs:
- Klacid is an antibiotic related to macrolides. The active ingredient is clarithromycin. According to the testimony of intersects with Zinnat. Children younger than 12 years old are prescribed the drug at the rate of 7.5 mg per kilogram of body weight per day. In severe cases, the dose is doubled. Admission is 2 times a day.
- Sumamed is an antibiotic in which Azithromycin is an active ingredient. The indications for use are the same as those of Zinnat, but it can also be used to treat peptic ulcer. The drug is prescribed to children older than 3 years for a single daily dose of 10 mg per kilogram of body weight.
- Augmentin - contains 2 active substances: amoxicillin and clavulanic acid. It is assigned to babies from 4 months of life. It is not resistant to beta-lactamases, and therefore is used to combat microorganisms that do not produce these enzymes.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Zinnat will be usable for 2 years if it is stored at room temperature.
Ready Zinnat suspension should be stored in the refrigerator and used within 10 days.