Zyrtec is an original antihistamine drug, one of the trade names of the drug substance cetirizine.
Some classifications refer this drug to the second generation of antihistamines, but according to most researchers and its pharmacological properties, the drug belongs to the third generation.
On this page you will find all the information about Zyrtec: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Zyrtec drops. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Histamine H1 receptor blocker. Antiallergic drug.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much do Zirtek drops cost? The average price in pharmacies is 360 rubles.
Release form and composition
The drug is available in two pharmacological forms:
- Drops Zyrtec. Externally, it is a clear liquid, without color. The smell of acetic acid is characteristic. The liquid is poured in 10 or 20 ml vials of dark glass, tightly closed. In the carton pack, in addition to the bottle, a dropper cap is placed.
- Coated tablets. These are white oblong tablets, with convex surfaces, with a risk on one side and an engraved letter "Y" on both sides of the risks. 7 or 10 tablets are placed in the blister, 1 blister (7 or 10 tablets) or 2 blisters (10 tablets) are put in a cardboard box.
Active ingredient - cetirizine dihydrochloride:
- 1 tablet - 10 mg;
- 1 ml of drops - 10 mg.
Tablet auxiliaries: colloidal silicon dioxide, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, Opadry Y-1-7000 (titanium dioxide (E171), hypromellose (E464), macrogol 400).
Excipients of drops: methyl parabenzene, propyl parabenzene, propylene glycol, sodium acetate, glycerol, glacial acetic acid, sodium saccharinate, purified water.
Zyrtec - antiallergic drug. Histamine H1 receptor blocker, competitive histamine antagonist, hydroxyzine metabolite. Prevents the development and facilitates the course of allergic reactions, has antipruritic and antiexudative action.
It affects the early histamine-dependent stage of allergic reactions, limits the release of inflammatory mediators at the late stage of an allergic reaction, reduces the migration of eosinophils, neutrophils and basophils, stabilizes the membranes of mast cells. It reduces capillary permeability, prevents the development of tissue edema, relieves spasm of smooth muscles and Zyrtek. Instructions for use indicates that the drug eliminates the skin reaction to the introduction of histamine, specific allergens, as well as to cooling (with a “cold” urticaria). Reduces histamine-induced bronchoconstriction in bronchial asthma of the lungs.
Practically no anticholinergic and antiserotonin action. In therapeutic doses, almost no sedative effect. After a single dose of cetirizine in a dose of 10 mg, the onset of the effect is observed after 20 minutes (in 50% of patients) and after 60 minutes (in 95% of patients), the effect lasts more than 24 hours. Against the background of a course treatment, cetirizine does not develop an antihistamine tolerance. After cessation of treatment, the effect lasts up to 3 days.
Indications for use
Zyrtec is recommended for the treatment of seasonal and year-round allergic rhinitis and conjunctivitis, atopic dermatitis, idiopathic and chronic urticaria, angioedema.
The use of Zirtek is indicated for dermatosis, which occurs with rashes and itching, hay fever, bronchial asthma, allergic nasal congestion, sneezing, tearing.
The drug in the form of drops can be prescribed for adults and children over 6 months.
The absolute contraindications to taking Zyrtec tablets are such pathological and physiological conditions of the body:
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- Children age up to 6 months - for drops, up to 6 years - for tablets;
- End-stage renal disease (creatinine clearance less than 10 ml / minute);
- Lactase deficiency, hereditary intolerance to galactose, glucose-galactose malabsorption syndrome;
- Increased individual sensitivity to the drug or hydroxyzine.
With caution, Zyrtec tablets are used in cases of moderate renal failure, in old age, in patients with concomitant epilepsy (damage to the central nervous system, which is accompanied by periodic seizures).
Before starting the drug is important to make sure that there are no contraindications to its use.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy and lactation it is not recommended to use the drug, unless the benefits of its use exceed the risk. There is no information about whether there is a negative impact on the fetus, however, for the sake of safety, women are not prescribed it. In addition, it is able to penetrate into breast milk, so if it is necessary for a woman to take it, she should refuse breastfeeding.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicated that Zyrtec taken orally. Recommended doses:
- Adults and children over 6 years old are prescribed in a dose of 10 mg (1 tab. Or 20 drops) / day. Adults - 10 mg 1 time / day; children - 5 mg 2 times / day or 10 mg 1 time / day. Sometimes an initial dose of 5 mg may be sufficient to achieve a therapeutic effect.
- Children between 2 and 6 years old are prescribed 2.5 mg (5 drops) 2 times / day or 5 mg (10 drops) 1 time / day.
- Children aged 1 to 2 years old should be prescribed 2.5 mg (5 drops) up to 2 times / day.
- Children aged 6 months to 12 months prescribed 2.5 mg (5 drops) 1 time / day.
Elderly people and patients with renal insufficiency adjust the dose depending on creatinine clearance (CK), which is calculated as follows:
- For women: QC (ml / minute) = 140 - age (in years) x body weight (in kilograms) / 72 x serum creatinine (mg / dl) x 0.85.
- For men: QC (ml / minute) = 140 - age (in years) x body weight (in kilograms) / 72 x serum creatinine (mg / dl);
Recommended doses of Zyrtek for patients with hepatic and renal insufficiency:
- CC 50-79 ml / minute (mild renal failure) - 10 mg / day;
- CC 30-49 ml / minute (average renal failure) - 5 mg / day;
- CC <30 ml / minute (severe renal failure) - 5 mg every other day.
- In end-stage renal disease, the drug is contraindicated.
For acute allergic reactions, drops or tablets should be taken until the symptoms disappear completely (rashes and itching of the skin, rhinitis, sneezing, tearing, redness of the eyes, etc.). That is, if the manifestations of allergy disappeared 2 days after starting Zirtek, then on the third day you can stop taking it. In this case, the duration of therapy is only 2 days. However, most often with acute allergic manifestations Zyrtec must be taken within 7 to 10 days.
If a person suffers from any seasonal allergies or often manifested allergic reactions, then Zyrtec should be drunk constantly, with long courses of 20 to 25 days, with intervals of at least 2-3 weeks between them. If it is possible to take longer breaks between Zyrtek courses, you should use this and prolong the intervals as long as possible. In such cases, Zyrtek's intake is a hyposensitizing therapy, during which the body's readiness to give an allergic reaction to a specific stimulus decreases.
The use of Zyrtek can cause undesirable side reactions from various organs and systems:
- The respiratory system can respond to Zyrtek with symptoms of pharyngitis and rhinitis.
- On the part of the gastrointestinal tract, patients note dry mouth, nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain.
- On the part of the urinary system, there is a disorder of urination, urinary retention or enuresis.
- Possible metabolic disorders, weight gain, swelling, increased appetite.
- On the part of the cardiovascular system, symptoms of tachycardia occur, on the part of the blood-forming organs, undesirable changes in blood parameters are possible.
- On the part of the senses, patients complain of blurred vision, dizziness associated with dysfunction of the vestibular apparatus is noted.
- The central nervous system can respond to taking the drug with various disorders: headache, dizziness, increased fatigue, weakness, drowsiness. Patients may experience a decrease in blood pressure, fainting, impaired memory, the development of tremor, taste perversion, convulsions.
- Sometimes there are mental disorders. The patient can be in a depressed or opposite, excited and aggressive state. Sleep disturbances, confusion, hallucinations, suicidal feelings and the development of depression are possible.
- The immune system reacts with hypersensitivity reactions, there may be a violation of the skin (rash, erythema, pruritus). In severe cases, there is a risk of developing anaphylactic shock.
To avoid the appearance of undesirable side effects, take the drug should only be prescribed by a doctor, strictly adhering to the dosage and frequency of use. If an adverse reaction occurs, treatment should be stopped and consult a specialist to adjust the subsequent course of therapy.
Symptoms characteristic of taking about 50 mg of the drug (5 tablets or 100 drops):
- pronounced sedation;
- fast fatiguability;
- confusion, stupor;
- urine retention;
If a dose greater than usual has been taken, it is necessary to immediately flush the stomach or induce vomiting. You can also give activated carbon. There is no specific antidote, therefore only symptomatic treatment is possible. Hemodialysis with an overdose is ineffective.
There are a few more points to keep in mind when starting to take Zyrtec.
- Should refrain from drinking alcohol;
- Three days before the allergy examination, the drug should be discontinued;
- People with a tendency to urinary retention should take medicine with caution;
- Potentially, the drug can inhibit the central nervous system, so children with a predisposition to problems with the nervous system should take the drug with caution;
- The studies revealed no phenomena and conditions that could interfere with driving, but those who are just starting therapy should refrain from work and activities that require a significant concentration of attention, including from driving;
- Restrictions for the reception of older people do not, it is only important to focus on the state of the kidneys.
- With simultaneous appointment with macrolides and ketoconazole, no ECG changes were observed.
- With the simultaneous appointment with theophylline (400 mg / day), the total clearance of cetirizine is reduced by 16% (the kinetics of theophylline does not change).
- When studying the drug interaction of cetirizine with pseudoephedrine, cimetidine, ketoconazole, erythromycin, azithromycin, glipizide and diazepam, no clinically significant undesirable interaction was revealed.
- When using the drug in therapeutic doses, data on the interaction with alcohol (with an alcohol concentration in the blood of 0.5 g / l) were not obtained. However, the patient should refrain from drinking alcohol during drug therapy in order to avoid oppression of the central nervous system.
We picked up some feedback from people about Zyrtec:
- Marina. Never faced with food allergies. A week ago, a friend came to visit and treated her with citrus dried fruit. I tried out of interest, because I hadn't done it before. After 15 minutes I started to have a strong itch, I was terribly frightened. With that, she ate very little. Not knowing what to do, I ran to the pharmacy. I was given a choice of several drugs. After a long time studying the instructions, I took a zyrtec. I took the pill right away. After 20 minutes itching and redness stopped bothering me. After this incident, I am very attentive to food, and bypass dried fruit, unfortunately.
- Inna My son had a cough that did not go for about a month, although he gave medicines, did compresses and other means. In the end, she took the child to a paid pediatrician, where they said that the cause of cough is an allergy. Ascoril was prescribed to open the bronchi and improve breathing, and Zyrtec was prescribed for the treatment of allergies. The course lasted 2 weeks, during which time all the symptoms passed.
- Margo. I give Zirtek to my little son, he suffers from allergies. Generics prefer not to give the child, so as not to save on his health. The original medicinal product is produced according to strict standards, tested auxiliary substances are used, the necessary research has been carried out on it. Zyrtec completely suits me, quickly relieves allergic attacks, did not observe drowsiness in a child.
In the case where Zyrtec antiallergic drug is not suitable for the composition or price, you can choose similar drugs:
- Fenistil. Dimetindena maleate is an active substance with antipruritic and antiallergic action. In addition, there is a weak sedative effect. The drug in the form of drops is used for children of earlier age, starting from 1 month, but its effectiveness is lower, and the frequency of side effects is higher. In addition to drops, Fenistil is available in the form of a gel, emulsion and cream. Prices for all forms range from 290 to 370 rubles.
- Zodak The drug is a complete analogue of Zirtek. They have a similar effect, pharmacokinetics, release forms, indications, contraindications and other indicators. However, before changing antiallergic drugs should consult a doctor. The cost of Zodak in the form of drops is 207 rubles.
- Erius. The active substance is called desloratadine and is an improved formula of loratadine. So, taking the drug does not cause drowsiness, and other side effects appear only in rare cases. At the same time the effectiveness of the tool is high. Erius is produced in the form of syrup and tablets, but its price is almost 2 times more than Zyrtek - 590 rubles.
- Claritin. The drug is available on the basis of Loratadine, which effectively copes with pollinosis, allergic dermatitis and chronic nettle. There are sedation, headache, increased appetite. 10 tablets cost 225 rubles, and 60 ml of syrup costs 250 rubles.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
According to the instructions, Zyrtec should be kept out of the reach of children.
Storage temperature drops should not exceed 25 ° C, and tablets - 30 ° C.
The shelf life of the drug is 5 years.