Amoxiclav - antibiotic of the penicillin group, it includes amoxicillin and clavulanic acid.
It is a complex preparation of a new generation, possessing powerful antimicrobial activity against the majority of pathogenic bacteria resistant to other penicillin preparations. Due to this, Amoxiclav has an extensive scope of application and is successfully used to treat a variety of diseases
On this page you will find all the information about Amoxiclav: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Amoxiclav. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much is Amoxiclav? The average price in pharmacies depends on the form of release:
- Price Amoxiclav tablets 250 mg + 125 mg averages 230 rubles for 15 pcs. Buy an antibiotic 500 mg + 125 mg can be at a price of 360 - 400 rubles for 15 pcs. How much are pills 875 mg + 125 mgdepends on the place of sale. On average, their cost is 420 - 470 rubles for 14 pcs.
- Price Amoxiclav Quiktab 625 mg - from 420 rubles for 14 pieces.
- Suspension price Amoxiclav for children - 290 rubles (100 ml).
- Price Amoxiclav 1000 mg in Ukraine (Kiev, Kharkov, etc.) - from 200 hryvnia for 14 pieces.
Release form and composition
The drug is available in the form of:
- Film coated tablets
- Powder intended for the manufacture of suspensions
- Lyophilized Powder for Intravenous Injection
Before using the drug in powder form, it is diluted in an infusion solution or water. Consider all kinds of dosage forms.
Amoxiclav tablets contain different concentrations of active substances and are available in three versions:
- Amoxiclav 375 (contain 250 mg of antibiotic + 125 mg of acid)
- Amoxiclav 625 (500mg of antibiotic + 125 mg of acid)
- Amoxiclav 1000 (850mg of antibiotic + 125 mg of acid)
In addition, the composition of the tablet form includes auxiliary components that are responsible for the formation of the viscosity of the drug: magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, cellulose, talc, etc. Amoksiklava tablets with any composition of the active ingredients are recommended to be dissolved before use in 100ml of water. If there is no possibility to dissolve the tablet, it should be thoroughly chewed and washed down with a sufficient amount of liquid.
The combination of amoxicillin with clavulanic acid is unique in its kind. Amoxicillin and other penicillin antibiotics cause the death of bacterial cells by binding their surface receptors. However, the majority of bacteria during the use of the drug have learned to destroy this antibiotic with the help of the enzyme beta-lactamase.
Clavulanic acid reduces the activity of this enzyme, so that this drug has a very wide spectrum of action. It even kills amoxicillin resistant bacteria strains. The drug has a pronounced bacteriostatic and bactericidal effect on all types of streptococci (with the exception of methicillin-resistant strains), echinococcus, listeria.
Gram-negative bacteria are sensitive to amoxiclav:
- Clostridium and others.
Regardless of the combination with food intake, the drug is well absorbed into the body, the maximum concentration of the drug is reached in the first hour after ingestion.
Indications for use
Amoxiclav is prescribed for infections caused by susceptible strains of microorganisms, namely for the following diseases:
- Biliary tract infections (cholangitis, cholecystitis).
- Infections of bone and connective tissue.
- Infections of the skin and soft tissues (impetigo, phlegmon, erysipelas, abscess, secondarily infected dermatosis).
- Osteomyelitis, meningitis, sepsis and endocarditis.
- Infections of ENT organs, lower and upper respiratory tracts (pharyngitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis and otitis media in acute and chronic forms, pharyngeal abscess, pneumonia, acute bronchitis with superinfection, chronic bronchitis); - infections of the urinary tract and pelvic organs.
The use of Amoxiclav is effective for the prevention of infections in surgery and the treatment of postoperative infections.
The spectrum of contraindications to the use of Amoxiclav is not wide, it includes such states:
- Severe violations of the functional activity of the liver and kidneys (insufficiency of these organs).
- Some viral diseases are infectious mononucleosis.
- The tumor process in the lymphocytic sprout of the red bone marrow is lymphocytic leukemia.
- Allergy to penicillins and their analogues is an absolute contraindication in which Amoxiclav is replaced with an antibiotic from another pharmacological group. Amoxicillin can cause a pronounced allergic reaction, which is manifested by a skin rash, itching, urticaria (rash on the background of edema of the skin, resembling a nettle burn), Quincke edema (angioedema of the skin and subcutaneous tissue), anaphylactic shock (severe allergic reaction, in which there is a progress of the skin and subcutaneous tissue), anaphylactic shock (severe allergic reaction, in which there is a progress in the skin and subcutaneous tissue), anaphylactic shock (severe allergic reaction, in which there is a progress of the skin and subcutaneous tissue), anaphylactic shock (severe allergic reaction, in which there is progress in the progress of subcutaneous tissue) decrease in systemic arterial pressure with the development of multiple organ failure).
In the case of any allergic reactions to antibiotics of the penicillin series (these include amoxicillin), Amoxiclav also does not apply.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Amoxiclav when of pregnancy can be applied if the expected effect exceeds the possible harm to the fetus. Undesirable use of the drug Amoxiclav in early pregnancy.
The preferred term is the 2nd trimester and the 3rd trimester, but even during this period, the dosage of Amoxiclav during pregnancy must be observed very accurately. Amoxiclav when breastfeeding not prescribed, since the active ingredients of the agent penetrate into breast milk.
Instructions for use Amoxiclav
The instructions for use indicated that the tablets Amkosiklavadults and children over 12 years old (or with a body weight> 40 kg) at mild to moderate infection appoint 1 tab. (250 mg + 125 mg) every 8 hours or 1 tab. (500 mg + 125 mg) every 12 hours, in the case of severe infection and respiratory infections - 1 tab. (500 mg + 125 mg) every 8 hours or 1 tab. (875 mg + 125 mg) every 12 hours.
- The drug in the form of tablets is not prescribed. children under 12 years old (weighing <40 kg).The maximum daily dose of clavulanic acid (in the form of potassium salt) is for adults - 600 mg, for children - 10 mg / kg body weight. The maximum daily dose of amoxicillin is for adults - 6 g, for children - 45 mg / kg body weight. The course of treatment is 5-14 days. The duration of treatment is determined by the attending physician. Treatment should not last more than 14 days without re-medical examination.
With odontogenic infections appoint 1 tab. (250 mg + 125 mg) every 8 hours or 1 tab. (500 mg + 125 mg) every 12 hours for 5 days.
In case of renal failure of moderate severity (CC 10-30 ml / min), 1 tab. (500 mg + 125 mg) every 12 hours, with severe renal failure (CC <10 ml / min) - 1 tab. (500 mg + 125 mg) every 24 hours. With anuria, the interval between doses should be increased to 48 hours or more.
The use of Amoxiclav can lead to the development of side effects:
- Exchange processes: fever;
- Digestive system: loss of appetite, diarrhea, pseudomembranous colitis, vomiting, inflammation of the tongue, mucous membranes of the organs of the mouth and stomach, nausea, indigestion, flatulence, enterocolitis, discoloration of the tongue;
- Hypersensitivity reactions to Amoxiclav: rash, erythema, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, Quincke edema, urticaria, dermatitis, Lyell's syndrome;
- Hematopoietic system: an increase in the number of eosinophils and agranulocytes, a decrease in the number of erythrocytes, platelets and leukocytes;
- Urinary system: inflammation of the kidneys, blood in the urine;
- Infectious diseases: candidiasis of various organs;
- Hepatobiliary system: increased activity of AlAT, AsAT, serum bilirubin level, amount of alkaline phosphatase, hepatitis, stagnation of bile;
- Central and peripheral nervous system: inadequate behavior, anxiety, dizziness, insomnia, confusion, headaches, convulsions, hyperkinesis.
When taken in high doses, possible disorders of the gastrointestinal tract (nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea). From the side of the central nervous system marked anxiety, nervous excitement, sleep disturbance, in rare cases - convulsive seizures.
When these symptoms appear, the patient is prescribed gastric lavage and activated carbon intake. In severe cases, hemodialysis is required.
The use of Amoxiclav tablets should be carried out only as prescribed by a doctor. It is also advisable to read the instructions to the drug. Be sure to take into account special instructions in relation to the reception of the drug:
- The drug should be used only in the development of a bacterial infection caused by bacteria susceptible to amoxicillin. Amoxiclav is ineffective against viruses. Optimal before the start of antibiotic therapy is to conduct bacteriological research with the release of the culture of the pathogen of the pathological process and determine its sensitivity to Amoxiclav.
- Before you start taking, make sure that there are no allergic reactions to antibiotics of the penicillin group and its analogues in the past. If necessary, it is desirable to test for the presence of allergies.
- If there is no effect from the start of Amoxiclav tablets use within 48-72 hours, it is replaced with another antibiotic or change therapeutic tactics.
- During the course of taking the drug (especially with a course of treatment exceeding 5 days), periodic clinical blood tests are necessary to control the number of its formed elements (erythrocytes, leukocytes and platelets).
- Very carefully, Amoxiclav is used in patients with concomitant dysfunction of the liver or kidneys, and their functional activity is monitored simultaneously.
- Amoxiclav tablets for young children do not apply, as it contains a high concentration of active substances, calculated on the age of 6 years.
- The combined reception with drugs of other medicinal groups should be very careful. You can not simultaneously use drugs that reduce blood clotting, which have a toxic effect on the liver or kidneys.
- Amoxiclav tablets do not adversely affect the rate of human reaction and the concentration of his attention.
- There is no data on the damaging effect of Amoxiclav on the developing fetus. However, its use in the first trimester of pregnancy is undesirable. In late pregnancy and while breastfeeding, the drug is allowed to use, but the reception should be carried out only under the supervision of a physician.
All these specific instructions regarding the use of Amoxiclav are necessarily taken into account by the attending physician before his appointment.
- Amoxiclav increases the toxicity of methotrexate while taking.
- When you take both Amoksiklava and Allopurinol increases the likelihood of exanthema.
- Disulfiram and Amoxiclav should not be taken at the same time.
- The simultaneous use of drugs with glucosamine, antacids, aminoglycosides, laxative drugs slows down the absorption of Amoxiclav, when taken simultaneously with Ascorbic acid - the absorption is accelerated.
- While taking the drug with some drugs, undesirable manifestations may occur, which is why tablets, syrup, and intravenous administration of the drug should not be used in parallel with a number of drugs.
- If a simultaneous reception of anticoagulants and Amoxiclav is performed, the prothrombin time increases. Therefore, it is necessary to appoint means in such combination carefully.
- With simultaneous treatment with phenylbutazone, diuretics, NSAIDs, Allopurinol and other drugs that block tubular secretion, there is an increase in amoxicillin concentration.
- Antagonists for co-administration are amoxicillin and rifampicin. The drugs mutually weaken the antibacterial effect.
- Amoxiclav and bacteriostatic antibiotics (tetracyclines, macrolides), as well as sulfonamides should not be taken at the same time, as these drugs can reduce the effectiveness of Amoxiclav.
- Probenecid increases the concentration of amoxicillin and slows its excretion.
The use of Amoxiclav may reduce the effectiveness of oral contraceptives.
Amoxiclav and its analogues are the most effective drugs of the penicillin group. As evidenced by reviews of amoxiclav, a positive effect is manifested after the first dose of the drug. Amoxiclav is much more effective than "pure" amoxicillin. The duration of the course amoxiclav less and the result is much faster. This is due to the fact that the component included in the preparation, clavulanic acid, not only increases the resistance of the antibiotic to bacterial enzymes, but also increases its effectiveness in combating them.
Often there is a need for long-term use of the antibiotic. In order to reduce the risk of side effects, reviews of amoxiclav indicate that parallel intake of probiotics (preparations containing bifidus and lactobacilli) effectively cope with this task.
Analogues of Amoxiclav are:
- On the active substance - Baktoklav, Klamosar, Arlet, Panklav, Medoklav, Liklav, Augmentin, Rapiklav, Fibell, Ekoklav, Amovikomb, Amoksivan;
- According to the mechanism of action - Libaccil, Oxamp, Santaz, Ampioks, Tazotsin, Timentin, Sulatsillin, Ampisid.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
List B. The drug should be kept out of the reach of children, in a dry place at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C. Shelf life - 2 years.