Human fingers are the main working tool with which any physical tasks are performed. If the legs are designed to move, the toes are used to perform any functions, including the finest operations, the implementation of which is almost impossible without them. During operation, the more the tool is used, the faster it fails if there is no proper care.
Many of us often complain that sometimes, after a working day, the joints of the fingers of the hands hurt a lot, or even the fingers are completely numb during sleep, but few people pay proper attention to it, and in vain. If the symptoms and causes are not identified in time and the proper treatment is not carried out, the neglected disease can lead to more serious consequences.
In this article we will examine in detail why the joints of the fingers hurt, let's name the common causes, and topical ways to treat joint pain.
Causes of pain in the joints of the fingersSo why the pain in the joints of the fingers, and how to treat this problem? Rheumatologists subdivide all joint pains into 2 broad categories: mechanical and inflammatory.
- Inflammatory pain is characterized by manifestations of prolonged stiffness in the morning, which can persist for an hour or more. Pains are reduced when performing movements. In addition, with inflammatory pain, patients note other symptoms: redness in the joints, swelling, a decrease in the volume of movements performed, and a violation of flexibility.
- Mechanical pain may be accompanied by signs of local inflammation. But the latter, as a rule, are insignificant and mild. Often, patients do not even notice them.
Let us consider in more detail why the joints of the fingers hurt, and what diseases are ways to provoke this symptom.
- Rheumatoid arthritis. Chronic autoimmune inflammatory systemic disease, which mainly affects the small joints of the body, but involvement of large joints and internal organs into the pathological process is possible. For pain, which is associated with rheumatoid arthritis, 5-7% of all cases are given. The metacarpophalangeal joints of the index and middle fingers are inflamed. Articulations swell, redden, the skin above them becomes hot to the touch. The joints hurt a lot, a person cannot even squeeze a hand into a fist. Defeat is often symmetrical on both hands. A characteristic feature is the fact that the inflamed joints ache in the morning or in the second half of the night, this is accompanied by stiffness in the hands. By evening, the pain passes.
- Psoriatic arthritis. Manifested on the surface of the outer cover - the skin. Pain in the joints of the fingers occurs in the distal phalanx. Manifested by edema to the degree of acquisition of sausage-shaped fingers, having a red color with a slight cyanosis. Symptoms of psoriasis are characterized by the difficulty of extending the hands and thumbs.
- Infectious arthritis. Systemic symptoms during the development of this disease may be absent altogether. The development of the disease is characterized by the appearance of acute pain, which can last from several hours to several days. The affected joint is hot to the touch. In some cases, you may experience fever as well as chills.
- Gout is a fairly common disease that mostly affects people over 50 years of age. The cause of gout is a violation of the metabolism of uric acid - the latter is poorly excreted from the body and deposited in the joints and cartilage, interfering with their normal function. A characteristic symptom of gout is intense burning pain.
- Osteoarthritis is a non-inflammatory deformity of the joints, characterized by their thickening and restriction of mobility. This disease is closely related to the estrogenic background, and is therefore characteristic of older women. Among the causes of osteoarthritis, the following are distinguished: hereditary predisposition, metabolic disorders in the body, occupational loads and others. The main symptom of the disease, except for pain in the joints of the hand, is the formation of subcutaneous nodules and edema. They contribute to the characteristic deformation of the fingers: a thickening in the middle and a general view of the spindle.
- Stenosing ligamentitis. Pathology is similar to two diseases at once - arthritis and arthrosis. To establish the true cause can only x-rays. The clinic of the disease is quite typical. It hurts to bend and unbend the brush. Sometimes it can wedge a clenched palm. When you straighten well heard clicks.
- If the pain in the joint of the thumb is concerned, the most likely cause may be risarthrosis. Its appearance is associated with a significant overload of the joint, infection, intoxication and trauma. Already during examination, the diagnosis is beyond doubt: a specific point of pain, increased pain with a characteristic load - turning the key, opening the covers, rotating the door handles. At the initial stage of the disease, the thumb on the arm hurts only after exertion, as the malady develops, the pain also occurs at rest. Gradually, the joint is deformed, active actions become impossible.
- Rheumatism is known for very unpleasant sudden sharp pains. He brought this sharpness of manifestations to the joints of the fingers, also accompanying the whole process with redness, swelling and violation of the freedom of movement. Add to this a possible rash and fever, and a complete picture of the disease will be drawn, which can be treated only with the help of a doctor.
- The so-called tunnel syndrome, most often diagnosed in young people, can lead to painful sensations in the joint of the index finger. It appears with a long work at the computer. Practically all specialists whose activity is connected with a similar occupation sooner or later may experience similar symptoms.
Factors affecting the development of various diseases of the joints of the fingers:
- hormonal changes;
- immune system pathologies;
- various hereditary factors;
- infections (often chronic);
- metabolic disease;
- exposure to various harmful factors, such as: frequent presence of hands in cold water (for a long time), etc;
- microtraumas that arise as a result of trauma to the hands (most often in athletes or on a slave requiring special physical exertion).
Only a traumatologist or a rheumatologist will be able to determine if a patient has a specific disease that causes pain in the joints of the fingers.
Pain when flexing and unbending fingers
Pain during flexion may indicate the presence of the following diseases:
- pinching of the vertebral nerves;
- stenotic ligamentitis;
- arthrosis of the joints;
- tunnel syndrome;
Signs of serious diseases of the joints of the fingers are the following symptoms:
- The appearance of nodular formations in the joints;
- Creak of the fingers;
- Soreness with pressure;
- Acute piercing pains;
- Change in skin color (redness);
- Difficulty of fine motor skills;
- The increase in t ° C body;
- Transformation of the joints;
- Seals at the bend of the finger;
- Difficult finger squeeze;
- The development of inflammation and tumor formations around the joints;
- Wave-like pains (discomfort is worse at night and almost disappears during the day).
Knowing the causes of joint pain will help find a cure and take preventive measures.
Before you figure out how to treat pain in the joints of the fingers, you must correctly make a diagnosis. Therefore, for people who experience joint pain and severe discomfort when flexing the upper limbs, the following diagnosis is recommended:
- blood biochemistry;
- CT scan
- blood test (general), urine;
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- checking blood for the presence of rheumatoid factor, purines, anti-streptococcal antibodies.
The occurrence of discomfort when bending the fingers should not be overlooked. Ignoring a problem can have serious consequences. Often there is a loss of active movements. And subsequently, this seemingly unimportant problem, like the impossibility of bending a finger, can lead to disability.
What to do if there is pain in the joints of the fingers?
A surgeon should be consulted if:
- Severe pain in the joints does not go away even after the use of painkillers;
- Joint pain is accompanied by an increase in overall body temperature or other pathological symptoms (conjunctivitis, skin rash, etc.);
- Pain in the joints appeared after injury and is accompanied by severe swelling, as well as deformities of the contours of the joint;
- Pain in the joints of the fingers does not disappear during the week.
If you experience pain in the joints of the fingers, treatment should first of all be aimed at eliminating the underlying disease. If the pain in the joints of the fingers arises due to the inflammatory process, antibiotics, hormones and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed.
In case of dystrophic lesion, it is necessary to restore damaged articular cartilages with the help of chondroprotectors and auxiliary measures: massage, manual therapy, physiotherapy.
In inflammatory processes, the patient is prescribed a course of painkillers and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (indomethacin, ibuprofen, piroxicam, voltaren, and many others).
For severe pain, hormonal corticosteroid drugs are used, which can be injected into the joint cavity. In osteoarthritis, chondroprotectors are appointed by long courses, which nourish cartilage and contribute to the suspension of its destruction.
Pain in the joints of the fingers indicates a malfunction or some kind of malfunction. First of all, you need to distance yourself from performing any physical activity.
Physiotherapy methods are important and effective in the fight against pathogens of finger joints. Such methods include: electrophoresis with novocaine (exposure to current), resonant therapies and electrosleep.
During remission, a therapeutic effect on the fingers is carried out by means of a massage session, mud painting, manual therapy and therapeutic exercises. It is also recommended to visit hydrosulphuric, radon, mud springs in sanatorium-resort conditions. The treatment in the sanatorium is carried out without exacerbation of an arthritic disease and is prescribed only after a thorough examination by a specialist.
Products that help with joint pain:
- Fish and other seafood. Calcium, iron and phosphorus contained in them contribute to the normalization of mineral metabolism;
- Flaxseed oil or fish oil. Omega-3 fatty acids in these products improve the condition of the blood vessels and help restore fat metabolism;
- Apple cider vinegar contributes to the alkalization of blood and the removal of salts.
In addition, add to your diet:
- egg yolks;
- pomegranate fruit and juice;
- olive oil;
- natural cheeses of low fat content.
You should limit or exclude completely: dairy products of high fat content, sweets, pastries, spicy or salty dishes, mayonnaise, smoked meats, strong tea and coffee, as well as products containing sorrel acid (spinach, sorrel, rhubarb).
At home, you can try and some folk remedies that can complement the main treatment, and relieve pain in the joints of the fingers.
- Bay leaves and juniper needles are ground, and then added to butter. Daily hands should be massaged using the resulting ointment.
- Compress from crushed chalk and fermented milk product (kefir, ryazhenka) should be applied overnight. Similarly, boiled oatmeal can be used.
- Inside you can take birch sap. It is a source of many vitamins, nutrients, which positively affects not only the joints, but also the whole body.
- A tablespoon of olive oil mixed with a few drops of fresh garlic juice should be drunk in the morning before the first meal. In this way, inflammation can be reduced with exacerbation of pain in the joints of the hands.
Do not forget about other non-drug methods of treatment: physiotherapy, mud therapy, massage, paraffin therapy and ultrasound.
They help maintain the musculoskeletal system in good condition, are fairly simple and do not require much time. A few minutes a day can give you old age without disease.
Remember: the answer to the question of why the joints of the fingers or toes hurt and what to do about it should worry you first. Trust the doctor, but also keep the situation under control. How to treat joints, in what way - only you decide.